November 24, 2020
One of the most common misconceptions about varicose veins is that they are simply an embarrassing cosmetic issue. And while this thinking is understandable, for some it couldn’t be further from the truth. For many, the presence of bulging leg veins is essentially your body’s way of telling you that something is off. Noticeable veins in the legs and ankles are not simply a sign of normal aging. Rather, they may be an indicator that the veins in the legs cannot properly return blood to the heart. At the very least, many people unknowingly suffer from vague and nonspecific symptoms such as leg aching, throbbing, swelling, itching, cramping, and a feeling of heaviness and fatigue in the legs. At worst, left untreated over time, they can manifest into some serious health issues such as skin issues, bleeding, or blood clots.
Regardless of whether you’ve been dealing with varicose veins for years, or just noticing them for the first time, it’s vital to understand which leg vein symptoms are most commonly linked to some of todays’ most concerning health problems. This is just a sample of what to look for when making the decision to seek professional treatment:
- The appearance of bulging veins, especially after prior pregnancies
- Unexplained throbbing or aching sensations in the legs, made worse after standing
- Heaviness, fatigue, or a feeling of tightness at the end of the day
- Constantly feeling the need to elevate your legs or massage your legs after work
- Severe unexplained dry and itchy skin around your calf and shin or near bulging veins
- An increased frequency in leg cramps at night or sensation of restless legs
- Unexplained prickly or burning sensation, or feeling of ‘creepy crawlers’ under the skin
- Bruising on the upper and lower legs that was not caused by a physical injury
- Brownish or blackish discoloration of the shins along with dry, flaky skin
This is a partial list of the many symptoms of varicose veins. There are many vein-related symptoms that can serve as strong indicators of leg problems that can be treated. Here at The Vein Institute in Rochester NY, we’ve helped patients of every age and background identify and resolve their leg vein issues safely and permanently. Use our Symptom Checker to see where you stand, or get in touch with our clinic to schedule a free vein screening.
The Vein Institute is located at 2050 S Clinton Ave in Rochester NY, and has helped thousands of patients throughout Western NY and beyond. Give us a call at 585-467-8346 to learn more, or write to us in complete confidence by filling out the short contact form on our website.